- Tour Plan
- Additional Info
- Similar Tours
- More Information
- 3 square meals daily. The menu includes different soups, garnishes, several types of fish and meat, fresh fruit and vegetables; vegetarian options are available upon request
- Accommodation prior to the climb (including breakfast; sharing a twin room)
- Airport transfers
- Camping/hut fees
- Each participant will be provided with a porter (who can carry up to 15 kg of personal baggage)
- First aid kit and oxygen systems and pulse oximeters
- Group equipment (dining tent, table, chairs, crockery and cutlery)
- Kilimanjaro National Park permits
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
- Meeting the group at the National Park exit and transfer to the hotel
- Modern The North Face VE-25 tents
- Transfer to the trail head
- Warm and comfortable sleeping pads (2 inches thick)
- International flights
- Lunch and dinner at the hotel (before and after the ascent)
- Medical, evacuation or travel insurance
- Mountaineering and Flying Doctor insurance
- Personal gear rentals
- Portable toilet and shower (not available on this route)
- Sleeping bags
- Tips for the mountain crew
- Visa arrangements
Kilimanjaro’s snow-capped peak is one of the most awe-inspiring sights in Africa. Straddling the Kenya/Tanzania border, the iconic Mount Kilimanjaro rises up to an impressive 5896 metres above sea level. It is one of the world’s highest volcanoes, the highest mountain on the African continent, and the highest free-standing mountain on earth; making it an international destination attracting trekkers and mountaineers from around the globe. Set within the Kilimanjaro National Park, Kilimanjaro emerges from the sprawling plains of Tanzania and boasts dense tropical rainforests, glacial ice fields, moorlands, and mystical moonscapes. Take on the colossal challenge of climbing this majestic mountain, explore the lush forested foothills, soak up the breathtaking views or take a wildlife safari and spot some of Africa’s diverse wildlife including: elephant, buffalo, leopard, duiker, eland, hyrax, blue monkeys and more.
- Day 1-
- Day 2-
- Day 3-
- Day 4-
- Day 5-
- Day 6-
- Day 7-
- Arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), where you will be met by a Safari Ventures representative, and transferred to your hotel.
- The hotel will provide all the essentials for a comfortable stay: cozy rooms, hot water, polite staff, a swimming pool, and Internet access.
- In the evening, there will be a briefing with your climb representatives who will share information on you upcoming climb and ensure you are ready to embark on your adventure.
- Overnight Aishi Machame Hotel
- Bed and breakfast provided
- Note: Check-in starts at 2:00 PM.
TREKKING FROM MARANGU GATE TO MANDARA HUT
A guide and a mountain support crew will arrive at the hotel in the morning in order to meet you and hold a quick briefing, after which you will travel by vehicle to Kilimanjaro National Park's eastern entrance: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After the quick formality of acquiring climbing permits and registering with the search and rescue service, the group will start trekking up to Mandara Hut (2,700 m). The trekking route includes passage through the rainforest (where tropical showers are highly probable), so we recommend you take not only spare clothes, but also your raincoats.
When you reach the camp, our mountain support crew will take care of the necessities, pitch the tents, and prepare lunch.
Throughout the entire Marangu route, you will be spending your nights in special huts. They offer a great alternative to those who do not want to sleep in tents.
This will be your first day at this altitude, so it is strongly recommended you heed the following instructions from this point on:
- Abstain from consuming alcohol and caffeine
- Drink over 4 liters of bottled water daily (little by little, frequently)
Change in Elevation: Marangu Gate (1,860 m) — Mandara Hut (2,700 m)
Hiking distance: 11 km
Hiking time: 5–7 hours
TREKKING FROM MANDARA HUT TO HOROMBO HUT
Early in the morning after breakfast, the group will depart Mandara Hut to start a moderate trek towards the second-high altitude camp: Horombo Hut (3,720 m). When you reach the camp on this day, you will be treated to views of two volcanos at once: Kibo and Mawenzi.
Several hours after lunch you will have to complete an acclimatization hike in the direction of Kibo Hut with a 200-meter gain in altitude, and then hike back down to Horombo Hut where dinner will be prepared for you.
The acclimatization hike is an easy trek with a slight gain in altitude done in order to speed up the acclimatization process. You should take the acclimatization hikes very seriously. They help increase your chances of successfully summiting Kilimanjaro and save you from the consequences of altitude sickness.
Trekking from Mandara Hut to Horombo Hut:
Change in Elevation: Mandara Hut (2,700 m) — Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
Hiking distance: 10 km
Hiking time: 5–6 hours
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Destination point en route to Kibo Hut (3,920 m)
Hiking distance: 2.5 km
Hiking time: 1–2 hours
Please note that an extra night is optional on the mountain for acclimatization between Day 3 and Day 4:
After having breakfast, you will start acclimatization hike towards Kibo Camp and go back. After lunch, you will have an opportunity to rest and take some photos, having Kibo and Mawenzi volcanoes as a spectacular background.
Elevations: Horombo Camp (3720 m) – Set point (3920 m)
Trekking distance: 2 km
Duration of trekking: 1-2 hours
TREKKING FROM HOROMBO HUT TO KIBO HUT
On this day, right after breakfast , you will be trekking to the Kibo Hut (4,700 m). The actual trekking is not very difficult, just remember to stick with an appropriate pace to keep up your strength for the trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit. When you reach the camp you will be served lunch, after which we recommend you sleep as much as you can, avoid any strenuous activity, and drink lots of water.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Kibo Hut (4,700 m)
Hiking distance: 10 km
Hiking time: 4–8 hours
TREKKING TO UHURU PEAK AND DESCENT TO HOROMBO HUT
Night departure from Kibo Hut (4,700 m) and the start of your trekking to Kilimanjaro's summit: Uhuru peak (5,895 m). The trekking will be moderate from a physical standpoint, but the altitude presents a much more serious problem. For the entire length of the trekking each pair of climbers will be accompanied by their own guide, who will be monitoring your stamina and mental resolve. After your successful ascent to Uhuru Peak, you can descend to the nearest glacier if desired. Then you will return to Kibo Camp and after a two-hour rest continue your descent to Horombo Hut (3,720 m).
Change in Elevation: Kibo Hut (4,700 m) — Uhuru Peak (5,895 m) — Horombo Hut (3,720 m)
Hiking distance: 16 km
Hiking time: 9–12 hours
DESCENT FROM HOROMBO HUT TO MARANGU GATE
You will be offered a warm breakfast in the morning, after which we will head for the Kilimanjaro National Park's exit: Marangu Gate (1,860 m). After your descent, the whole group will gather to congratulate you, and then you will have the chance to share your opinions on the trip in the guestbook. Lastly, we will present you with your commemorative certificates (in our office) and provide you a transfer back to the hotel.
Change in Elevation: Horombo Hut (3,720 m) — Marangu Gate (1,860 m)
Hiking distance: 18 km
Hiking time: 5–6 hours
Overnight Aishi Machame Hotel on bed and breakfast basis
End of Itinerary
- Rest in the hotel and you will be transferred to Kilimanjaro Airport. (If dayrooms are required, this can be arranged).
- Note: Hotel check-out is at 11:00 AM.