What and Where is Volcanoes National Park?
Volcanoes National Park is the most famous destination in Rwanda and is known for its mountain gorilla trekking safaris. A visit to Rwanda would be incomplete without seeing these majestic primates.
Situated in the far northwest of Rwanda, Volcanoes National Park is the Rwandan section of the great volcanic massif called the Virunga Mountains that sits between Rwanda, Uganda, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The great volcanic massif covers a huge area of over 8,000km², encompassing six active and three extinct volcanoes. The massif is home to half of the world’s mountain gorillas (around 400 mountain gorillas)- making Rwanda one of the best destinations to see mountain gorillas in their habitat.
This natural park receives its name after all from the different volcanoes that can be found in its protected location. But that is not the only thing that makes this place special, there is a great example of mixed ecosystems such as evergreen with bamboo forests, some grasslands, and even swamps!
What Makes Volcanoes National Park Unique?
What makes Volcanoes National Park unique is it is home to around 10 habituated groups of mountain gorillas scatter all over the park as well as the extremely rare golden monkeys.
Volcanoes National Park is one of the few places in the world that has a group of great volcanoes, five of them to be more specific, and every one of them receives a name. First, we have the most famous, Karisimbi is an emblem in the community of Rwanda and is famous for its shape and height. Followed by Mount Bisoke with its crater lake, Sabinyo, Gahinga, and the good looking Muhabura volcano. You will find a lot of distinctive ecosystems such as evergreens mixed with a bamboo forest in which a lot of rare and endangered wildlife and plants inhabit. If you are the type of person that enjoys new adventures, then start planning a trip because this place has it all! More than 200 species of birds, as well as the rarest golden monkey, rainy forest, and some of the best views of Africa.
Why Travel to Volcanoes National Park?
This is the perfect place for those who want to experience gorilla trekking and love the views of mother nature over other things because in this park you will find and discover a lot of new and amazing species that are not found over of the world! Making this location an incredibly unique place to visit. The experience overall will be amazing!
Best Time to Visit Volcanoes National Park?
The best time to visit Volcanoes National Park is between June to September, but do not worry if for any reason you do not make it during this time! Because it is also recommended to visit from December to February, the reason for this? The environment will be more dry, perfect for those who want to walk without facing any obstacle on the roads. Before planning and booking your trip, make sure that is between these two periods, that way you will have a better experience overall.
What Are Some Activities You Can Do At Volcanoes National Park?
There are lots of activities to do in Volcanoes National Park making it a top safari destination. Activities include gorilla trekking, hiking, cultural visits, canoeing, and much more!
- Mountain Gorilla Trekking– This is the main reason travelers visit Volcanoes National Park. The park is home to around 10 habituated mountain gorilla families.
- Golden Monkey Trekking– Another main reason for travelers to visit Volcanoes National Park. Golden monkeys are exceptionally rare animals and Volcanoes National Park is one of the only places where you can see these wonderful creatures.
- Volcano Climbing– Volcanoes National Park provides some amazing hiking opportunities with Mount Karismbi being the most popular. Be able to hike to the top of any of the volcanoes and be rewarded with some of the most amazing views in Africa.
- Dian Fossey Tomb Tour– Another popular activity in Volcanoes National Park. The Dian Fossey tomb hike offers travelers the opportunity to explore her work on the conservation of the rare mountain gorillas and their natural habitat.
- Canoeing– canoeing in the near lakes a good experience overall because you will feel as comfortable as ever in the silent and peaceful lakes.
- Iby’Iwacu cultural village tour– experience the local environment, meet locals and get a taste of their culture and traditions